[sc34wg3] Web arch use of 'information resource'

Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:51:52 +0200

* Jan Algermissen

| I just learned that the term 'information resource' is used by Web
| architecture, too and has a different definition there as it has in
| Topic Maps land.
|
| "The term Information Resource refers to resources that convey
| information. Any resource that has a representation is an
| information resource." [1]

This is really good news, because I think the definitions are
equivalent. TMDM defines "information resource" as:

  a resource that can be represented as a sequence of bytes, and thus
  could potentially be retrieved over a network

In short, a resource that has representation.

| Not that this is a problem, but I wanted to make us aware of it.

It's good that you did, but as far as I can tell we don't need to do
anything about it. I wasn't aware of the WebArch definition, but if
they are the same then that's really good.