[sc34wg3] A handful of items about ontology building

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:50:32 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4D63B.EC27BCBF

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4D63B.EC27BCBF

WG3 folks:

The IEEE group on Standard Upper Ontology (SUO) has recently been having
a discussion of principles for ontology building (one might ask why they
didn't do this three years ago before they started drafting ontologies).
I thought some of these messages and the references in them might be
interesting in the TM community while we're thinking of PSIs and other
such potentially ontological constructs. There's nothing revolutionary
there, just good advice. And I thought it might be worthwhile just to
keep up with what another standards committee is doing.

Jim M.

 <<Re: Avoiding the pitfalls of ontology development>>  <<RE: Avoiding
the pitfalls of ontology development>>  <<Re: Avoiding the pitfalls of
ontology development>>  <<Re: Avoiding the pitfalls of ontology
development>>=20

------_=_NextPart_002_01C4D63B.EC27BCBF

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>A handful of items about ontology building</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">WG3 folks:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The IEEE group on Standard Upper =
Ontology (SUO) has recently been having a discussion of principles for =
ontology building (one might ask why they didn't do this three years ago =
before they started drafting ontologies). I thought some of these =
messages and the references in them might be interesting in the TM =
community while we're thinking of PSIs and other such potentially =
ontological constructs. There's nothing revolutionary there, just good =
advice. And I thought it might be worthwhile just to keep up with what =
another standards committee is doing.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Jim M.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial" SIZE=3D2 COLOR=3D"#000000"> &lt;&lt;Re: Avoiding =
the pitfalls of ontology development&gt;&gt; </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial" =
SIZE=3D2 COLOR=3D"#000000"> &lt;&lt;RE: Avoiding the pitfalls of =
ontology development&gt;&gt; </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial" SIZE=3D2 =
COLOR=3D"#000000"> &lt;&lt;Re: Avoiding the pitfalls of ontology =
development&gt;&gt; </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial" SIZE=3D2 =
COLOR=3D"#000000"> &lt;&lt;Re: Avoiding the pitfalls of ontology =
development&gt;&gt; </FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>