[sc34wg3] Heads up! SC36 Liaison coming

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:13:15 -0400

It is TMs he's interested in, not something new. It's just his =
perspective
(he's an old "standards professional") that makes him want what I call =
the
RM in UML.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marius Garshol [mailto:larsga@garshol.priv.no]=20
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 11:57 AM
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Subject: Re: [sc34wg3] Heads up! SC36 Liaison coming

* James David Mason

| I just had a conversation with Frank Farrance, Chairman of JTC1/SC36, =

| which deals with applications of IT to education and training.. He's=20
| wildly enthusiastic about Topc Maps and wants to promote their use in =

| the SC36 context; he wants to establish better liaison.

This was very interesting. I'm right now in Vester=E5len in northern =
Norway
where I've attended a seminar on topic maps in e-learning, and key =
players
in this area in Norway are now very excited about. Among them are =
people in
the ministry of education and the lead person behind a governmental =
project
for standards in e-learning, and that guy is one of the Norwegian
representatives to SC36...
 =20
| He plans to discuss this at the next SC36 meeting, at a conference in =

| Korea, and at JTC1 (which meets in Singapore in November: anyone want =

| to go?).

Uh, well...
 =20
| Some of the things he's interested in sound very much like asking for =

| the RM in UML notation. Any takers?

Sounds like we should convince him that what he wants is topic maps, =
and not
some new thing. Also, I think people will want things like LOM (IEEE
standard for learning object metadata, currently with no data model or
interchange syntax) as a set of PSIs. I suggested the latter at the =
seminar
here, and there was interest in the idea.

In any case, it does sound like there are several things here worth
following up, and it definitely does sound like we need to have a =
serious
chat with the SC36 people.

--=20
GSM: +47 98 21 55 50                  <URL: http://www.garshol.priv.no =