[sc34wg3] DM: 6 Merging, 7.5 Topic characteristic types

Dmitry sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:59:14 -0500

I would like to make (more) explicit aspects of merging:

*** General (merging: why).
I agree with Patrick. I would emphasize idea of combining information from
different sources about the same subject.

*** Merging procedures for different topic map items (merging: how)
These procedures define how to do merging. Presented now in 6.2-6.8.

*** Merging identification (merging: what)
This section should specify which topic map items suppose to be merged

One rule is described now in 6.1 ("equality  rule")
Second rule is presented in 7.5 ("unique topic characteristic rule")

*** Merging: when
Section 6.1 defines that "any change to topic map that causes a set to
contain two information items equal to each other must be followed by the
merging of those two information items."

I would suggest to specify that DM doesn't define moment when merging must
be done. I suggest decoupling operations which can modify topic map and
merging process.

Dmitry