[sc34wg3] 3.13 Merging

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:16:45 -0500

Lars/Graham,

Question about:

******3.13 Merging******
a process applied to topic maps in order to reduce the number of
redundant topic map constructs
*****/3.13**************

It that what we really want to say about merging? Sounds rather tepid to
me.

I don't use Pepper's Italian Opera topic map as an example of topic maps
because it has a reduced number of reduntant topic map constructs.

My boss was quite delighted to find information in the Opera topic map
he would not think to look for gathered up for a single topic. I don't
think his reaction would have been quite the same had I said the
advantages of merging are the reduction of redundant topic map
constructs. Somehow it just doesn't roll off the tongue does it?

I realize that ISO prose should not be a marketing piece but on the
other hand, I don't see any reason to hide one of the principal reasons
why people will want to use topic maps.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--