[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Kal Ahmed sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
20 Nov 2003 09:33:21 +0000

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 21:14, Michel Biezunski wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 11:41, Mason, James David (MXM) wrote:
>
> Oops. I wanted to answer Jim's mail and I just sent it as it was.
> Sorry about that.
>
> I wanted to what Jim and Eric said another requirement I have for
> names. In the topic map application I am currently working on,
> topics have several names, and they don't play the same role. One
> is a "privileged name" and the other ones are treated as synonyms.
>
> From the pure topic map point of view, nothing distinguishes them,
> and I can't use scope because of the name-based merging rule (because
> in my case I want them to merge). I can't use topic types because
> it has nothing to do with names. I don't want to use variants because
> it doesn't correspond to what I need.

Could you use the proposed [type] property of the topic name information
item (i.e. an <instanceOf> inside a <baseName> element) ? Perhaps you
could have names of type "synonym" to distinguish them from the
"privileged" name.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Kal