[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:50:26 +0000

Mason, James David (MXM) wrote:
>  While I tend to agree with Murray that almost everything about W3C
> namespaces is poisonous, I'm still faced with the problem that I can't even
> name some of the thing I have to create topics for in XTM if I can't
> introduce other markup (like I'm doing chemistry, and I need the formula for
> a compound, not just a CAS number, or I need to distinguish isotopes. (I
> can't mention some of my other examples in this forum).

Jim,

I'll make you guys all a deal. If we were to limit the included
namespace to ONE namespace, a subset of XHTML, I'd be willing to
create the XHTML+XTM DTD that comingled them*. That's if there's a
general consensus that you guys are going to burn the barn anyway,
so I'd consider this my voluntary water bucket. :-)

My approach to this so far has been to point to a DOM node in an
XHTML document via a fragment ID in a URL. But I can understand
wanting to put inline markup into XTM. I just think it really
screws with the point of XTM, which was to interchange _Topic Maps_,
not some mix of Topic Maps plus whatever anyone else wanted stuffed
in there. I think people should have the ability to create documents
that mix them, but I don't think ISO should standardize those types
unless they're willing to accept the dilution of XTM's effectiveness
in doing so.

Murray

* This would depend to some extent on deadline, but I'm willing.
Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                    .

    Allegations of animal mistreatment against Yukos surfaced in an
    inspection of a farm belonging to a Yukos-affiliated company in
    the Siberian region of Yakutia, news reports said. Male and female
    rabbits were kept together and "couplings take place unsystematically,"
    the Interfax news agency said.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/11/06/international1705EST0747.DTL