[sc34wg3] Almost arbitrary markup in resourceData

Murray Altheim sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:40:38 +0000

Mason, James David (MXM) wrote:
>  i'm away from work and don't have a chance to think this through in detail,
> but my interest here (and in the similar baseNameString case) is in having
> the ability to bring in GIs from a foreign namespace. Bringing in things
> from the XTM namespace looks like dangerous recursion. My quick response is
> that the topicRef in resourceData is simply meaningiless garbage.

Jim,

Is that GIs from *any* foreign namespace? What about
interoperability? What is an application supposed to
do with such markup? Won't that create islands of
proprietary functionality? The Microsoft-ization of
XTM?

Murray

Murray Altheim                         http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK                    .

    Allegations of animal mistreatment against Yukos surfaced in an
    inspection of a farm belonging to a Yukos-affiliated company in
    the Siberian region of Yakutia, news reports said. Male and female
    rabbits were kept together and "couplings take place unsystematically,"
    the Interfax news agency said.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/11/06/international1705EST0747.DTL