[sc34wg3] Comments on the "particular editorial solution" ;-)

06 Nov 2003 09:42:34 +0100

* Martin Bryan

| There are three types of ISO introductory material:
|
| 1) For multipart standards the overall structure of the standard
| should be described as part of the Foreword to the standard that is
| repeated for all parts without change

N0443 does this as required by the directives:

This lists the parts of the standard, but I wouldn't say it really
makes things very clear to the reader unless they already have a
pretty good idea of how the standard hangs together.

So while we have to have this we may want to have something more, I
think.

| 2) Section 0 Introduction provides a brief overview of a part of a
| standard (this is what is described in 6.1.4)

Again N0443 tries to follow the directives:

And again I think that even if you took all four of these next to one
another I don't think you'd necessarily be able to understand how they
fit together.

| 3) Part 1 Overview, is an optional first part of a multipart
| standard which should provide the justification/use cases for a set
| of standards.

This sounds like what we want to do with Part 1.

| Any tutorial must be in an annex as it is informative, and
| informative material must be in an annnex. Any text in Part 1
| Overview that is not placed in an informative annex is considered
| mandatory for the implementation of the standard.

Oh, OK. So in that case it sounds like a tutorial should not go in
part 1, but then it also sounds strange for an overview to the
standard to go there.

| The DSDL team asked for ISO Central Secretatiat's advice on this,
| and had to abandon our original idea of describing the overall
| framework of the standard as part of the Overview. We came to the
| conclusion that we had to split the information about the role and
| structure of the standard from the technical data that we originally
| planned to put in this section.

That sounds like exactly what we are trying to do. Where did you
decide to put that information in the end?