[sc34wg3] Use cases for occurrence variants

26 Mar 2003 21:27:56 +0100

* Murray Altheim

| Devil's advocate and all aside, the world of Topic Maps has survived
| quite well without this new proposed feature. I certainly have no
| need of occurrence variants in any of my work, nor do I conceive
| that I will in the future.

I have to say I agree with Murray here. I haven't seen a need for
this, nor do I expect to. I'm uneasy about building too much
functionality (that's what I consider this to be) into the model
itself, as opposed to having it in application-specific vocabularies.

In short, my inclination is to drop this. Is there anyone out there
who thinks this is important and would be upset if we drop it?

(Note: this does not mean that I'm saying Nikita's list of use cases
is wrong. It's just that the same thing can be achieved by other
means, and so far I've seen no indication that anyone actually really
needs to do it using occurrence variants.)