[sc34wg3] What do we mean by reification?

03 Mar 2003 16:08:12 +0100

* Murray Altheim

| Russell & Norvig's definition seems to match almost exactly with the
| idea that a topic reifies a subject, i.e., turns something in the
| "real world" into "an object in the language". I don't see this as a
| conflict at all.

What R&N is saying is that when you turn a function--something that
was already in the language, but not as an object--into an object you
do reification. This corresponds to what SAM calls reification.

What it does *not* say is that *every* time you create an object you
are doing reification. But that's what you are saying when you say
that the topic <-> subject relationship always is one of reification.