[sc34wg3] occurrence - basename fuzzy boarder

22 Feb 2003 14:40:56 +0100

* Geir Ove Gr=F8nmo

| This thread is a bit old, but there is an issue I believe we never
| really resolved:
|=20
|   "Should occurrences have variants?"

True. This one sort of slipped through the cracks and never got an
official issue.
=20
| I think they should. The argument is that occurrences reference
| information resources, and that they can have alternative renditions
| applicable in different contexts.=20
| [...]
| What are the arguments for them _not_ having variants?

The primary argument would be to avoid increasing the complexity of
the model, which is already considerable. The other half of that
argument would follow the lines of "you can already achieve this with
reification etc".

I think this issue should be decided by weighing the cost of further
complicating the model against the benefit of making this particular
use case easier to address. I would be very interested to hear
feedback from people on whether they consider this a useful feature or
not.
=20
| PS. SAM editors, could you please add this as an issue in
| tm-standards.xtm?

The issue has now been added both to the SAM draft as well as to the
topic map, though neither change will show up publicly before the next
update of the editor's working copy.

--=20