[sc34wg3] New SAM PSIs

Mary Nishikawa sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:42:45 +0900

*LMG

Can you give an example of this? I do not think that this works. You can
create a
loop, but does it have any bearing to reality?

Please convice me with a real example.
It should work in all cases of super-sub and if it doesn't then we need
something else to describe this looping.

Of course if A=country and B=city, this can never work.

>>>*Murray
>>>Okay, so this is something that is syntactically possible but
>>>logically impossible. I'm not sure why it's proposed, unless
>>>there's some domain when something's superclass can also be a
>>>subclass of it. I can't think of any examples.

Me neither. Please show a real example. Even with Bernard's Math lesson, I
am not convinced.
You can prove me wrong, please, but I haven't seen any examples posted here yet.

*LMG
>>DAML+OIL defines the equality between classes that way.

Please give me a reference.

Yes, if a subclass = superclass and a superclass = subclass then they are
the same class.
and the distinctions of being super or sub disappears.

>Regardless of what DAML+OIL does, what does it *mean*? I'm
>confused. It's nonsense, AFAIK:
>
>      A is superclass of subclass B
>      B is superclass of subclass A

*Murray
>That doesn't make logical sense. (I must be missing something
>here, as defining equality of two classes based on them being
>both superclasses and subclasses of each other seems to ignore
>the very definitions of superclass and subclass.)

I agree. We would need to conclude that the distinction between super and
sub disappears and collapses in one class.

Cheers,
Mary