[sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

Ann Wrightson sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:24:32 -0000

Jan,

Maybe someone else's words may communicate this better to you:

SAM is *not* based on the XML infoset.=20

Rather:

SAM uses a similar methodology to that used to define the XML infoset,
to create a (largely, apart from merging) process-neutral data model.

SAM is a data model.

Ann W.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Algermissen [mailto:algermissen@acm.org]=20
Sent: 11 February 2003 23:18
To: sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Subject: Re: [sc34wg3] Topic Maps land and SAM land

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> Now I'm surprised again: why do you say "a syntax processing model of=20
> a TM"? Where does syntax enter the picture?

The current official draft of the SAM is based on XML infoset. And XML
infoset is what the current SAM's underlying processing model is.
Without such a thing, it is impossible to make any sense of a processed
syntax.

Suppose we wanted to define the SAM in RM terms, it would absolutely
make sense to me to still base the processing model for XTM on XML
infoset.

Jan

> --
> Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian         <URL: http://www.ontopia.net >