[sc34wg3] Clarifying N0323

09 Feb 2003 18:27:09 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that it assumes that *some* TM
| engines will use the RM model. As far as I know, that's not the
| case. And if we don't expect that we have no need for a
| canonicalization, either.

* Anthony B. Coates

| I've put together a relational database schema based on the RM,
| which I will publish at some stage.  That's somewhat short of an
| engine, but I hope it will get people thinking.

Certainly you *can* implement the RM; the question is whether its
authors actually intended anyone to do that. I have interpreted them
on several occasions as saying that they did not.

* Anthony B. Coates

| I suspect you can if you can agree on a particular starting topic.
| You hold the topic map up by that one topic, shake it a few times,
| and it should fall out into something of a tree.

Actually, now that I've thought a bit more about it I think it may be
doable, provided every node has a different set of property value
assignments, since you can then sort the nodes based on those, and
then assign IDs based on that ordering. Once that's done you can order
the arcs by their ID pairs and write the whole thing out.

Whether there is any use for such a thing is a separate question,
though.

| The ordering can be quite arbitrary for this application, it just
| has to be repeatable.

Agreed.