[sc34wg3] TMQL and update/add/delete/roll-back

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:00:40 -0500

Lars,

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> * Patrick Durusau
> |
> | As I read the latest use cases document (N449?), there was no
> | treatment of update/add/delete/roll-back operations on topic maps.*
>
> That's correct. Updates are scheduled for ISO 18048-2, but we're only
> working on part 1 at present, so we've left out those use cases for
> now. We think just getting the basic QL right is enough for us to deal
> with in the first instance, but we *will* get to the updates part once
> that's done.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Still owe
you some bibliographic material on query languages. Hope to reach that
during the holidays. (I will be working but it does mean less email
traffic from the office so the holidays are welcome.)

The other reason for the question was my curiousity about how the basic
query language might have an impact on the issues that will be reached
in ISO 18048-2. Nothing well formed (or even half formed) yet but a
suspicion that choices in the basic query language are going to have a
significant impact on what is necessary for part 2. Nothing more than a
suspicion at this point but we are in uncharted waters with topic maps,
so there is no certainty about what we will find.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau