[sc34wg3] Comments on CXTM (N0454)

11 Dec 2003 16:29:59 +0100

* Lars Marius Garshol

| --- 4.5
|
| Here we refer to ISO 10646 character codes instead of Unicode scalar
| values as does TMDM. I realize the Infoset uses this terminology,
| but USV is a) consistent with TMDM, b) more accurate, and c) we can
| be consistent and reference Unicode instead of ISO 10646 everywhere.

* Martin Bryan

| Naughty. ISO standards should not refer to Unicode: they should
| always refer to other ISO standards wherever they are relevant.

I agree. TMDM has gone the non-ISO route because I don't know the
proper ISO 10646 terminology, so I can't get the string definition
right using that terminology. (The only way to solve this is to pay
CHF 83 for a CD-ROM copy of the standard, or to contact the relevant
SC and ask for information.)

The other reason is that as far as I know ISO 10646 does not define
normalization (and Tony Graham's Unicode book seems to confirm this),
which means that we'd have to refer to Unicode even if we did use ISO
10646 for the basic terminology.

So I think in this case we are justified in using Unicode instead of
ISO 10646. I'd welcome feedback on that, though.