[sc34wg3] Question on TNC / Montreal minutes

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:30:38 +0200

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Marc de Graauw
> |
> | The TNC becomes optional, and can be switched on and off. Something like
> | this will happen:
> |
> | <topic id="t1">
> |   <baseName>
> |     <baseNameString merge="on">Mama Cass</baseNameString>
> |   </baseName>
> | </topic>
> |
> | Right?
>
> That's what the Montréal meeting decided. Then we have to see what the
> national bodies (and other people who were not present) think.
>
> Note that in this example the merge on/off instruction only applies to
> that particular base name. Other base names might have this value set
> to "off".

A note regarding RM-thinking here (as far as I understand it):

At the RM level there will only be *one* node that represents the concept of
the "name that has "Mama Cass" as a 'string value' (the name that
has all the "Mama Cass" <baseNametring> elements as subject indicators).
This node may then participate in topic-basename assertions (those that
trigger the TNC) and topic-name assertions (those that don't trigger the
TNC).

So, at the RM level one can't say 'this *particular* "Mama Cass" name',
there is only one because it is a subject in it's own right.

Jan