[sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 11:52:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Marc de Graauw wrote:

> * Graham Moore
>
> | I think we came to some consensus in montreal that scope is no more than
> | untyped associations between an association and a set of topics.
>
> I wasn't in Montreal and wouldn't know about the decisions there. But I
> wouldn't object to this conclusion at all, only I wouldn't say scope is an
> _untyped_ association, just that it is not explicitly typed in the syntax. The
> implicit type of the association of course would be "extent of validity" as
> ISO 13250:2000 and XTM say.

Not sure I understand this.

The assertion derived from such an association would be *explicitly*
typed, would it not?

3.6.4.1.2 in the RM permits "untyped" assertions -- while it may be that
all scopes are untyped associations between an association and a set of
topics, does it the reverse statement hold -- that all untyped
associations between an association and a set of topics are scoped?

(Note also that the RM can be used to give an operatioanl definition of
"extent" in terms of graph constructs.)

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.