[sc34wg3] Draft Reference Model

18 Nov 2002 23:53:11 +0100

* Sam Hunting

| (2) Is the best/only way to model the prose statement "Hot and cold
| are opposites" an assertion with a single role player that
| represents the set {"hot","cold"}

That seems quite a funny way of doing it to me, and structurally
different from how topic maps represent this, which would more
naturally be

  opposites(hot : opposite, cold : opposite)

In the SAM this is an association item with two role items in its
[roles] property. The transformation to the RM is more involved than
people will expect it to be, and it does seem a little odd.

I realize the rationale is that there should be a node that allows us
to speak about both at the same time, but I'm not sure what the
argument that leads from there to the construction of the set is.