[sc34wg3] Re: Montreal meeting recommendations

14 Sep 2001 18:40:58 +0200

Hi Michel,

* Michel Biezunski

| I don't have time now to answer in detail to all of them, [...]

That need not be a problem, but I do hope you'll have time to get
round to them later.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Also, one question to SRN & MB that I personally have is: what is the
| purpose of the core model? What are its goals? Why is it being written?
| I know the PMTM4 document says something about this, but it's not
| obvious that this text necessarily applies to the new situation.
| Englightenment on this issue would be very much welcome.

* Michel Biezunski

| You should check the slide presentation we did at the Semantic Web
| Workshop in Stanford (look for it at www.topicmaps.net and under
| "Recent presentations". This should contain material that will
| answer (at least) some of the questions you are asking.

I've read it now, and am no wiser than I was. (You did mean the "Topic
Maps Unclothed" presentation?) I see lots of talk about what topic
maps can do, which is fine, but nothing about PMTM4. What I am asking
is the purpose of the core model, not of topic maps. What does the
core model give us beyond what the infoset model does?

--Lars M.